Saturday, June 4, 2011

Beyond Contestation...

I work at the BYU Bookstore and I was shelving books yesterday when I saw one that caught my eye. I don't remember the title or the main subject, but on the back was the phrase "since the fact of evolution can no longer be contended..." I was appalled.

What do you mean it is beyond contestation? Seriously?! Of course it isn't past that point. It is conceited and arrogant to dismiss the other side so carelessly and with zero respect.

For starters, will the presence of evolution has been confirmed in a myriad of cases of animals and adaptation in humans as well, there has not been conclusive evidence that factually demands the pronouncement of "here is the proof of evolution, come see it and you cannot ever doubt again!" Never has been.

Remember that old evolution of the horse exhibit from way back when - you know, the one that shows the little pygmy-sized horse thing that over time becomes our modern horse? That set up is based off of a myriad of bones from all over the world and many are not complete skeletons. On top of that, at least two of them are found in the same fossilized rock in Nebraska (see National Geographic, January 1981, p. 74). So, if one "evolved" from the other, why are they together at the same time?

Then you have human evolution. It is just as scattered and misleading. Is it possible, I can't say. Is it for certain, certainly not. Science proves things in the realm of science. When it finally catches up to itself (remember the brontosaurus? yeah, never existed and was a mistake) it adapts and brings in new information. We had many different versions of the atom before the atom bomb was created following the discovery of nuclear fission. We are still redefining it today as new understandings of the components that not only make up the atom, but make up the components of the components, are being illuminated.

Basically, it is simply beyond reason to throw out the other side just yet. There is evidence and lack of evidence both ways. You can choose one side or the other based on the faith you subscribe to or try and merge the two, but you cannot just deny the validity of the other side as if they don't matter.

I believe God created man and all the things on the Earth. As far as my understanding goes, that does not mean we evolved from subspecies. If that is wrong I am sure He will illuminate me later. I do not dismiss the evidences of evolution as ridiculous or unfounded - they make sense in their own light. Just don't tell me my ideas are worthless and stupid when compared to them.

No comments: