There come moments in life where a sort of "make it or brake it" point comes along. You know, when all Hell seems combined against you and your will to push forward is ready to snap. These moments are the refiner's fire. They are designed specifically for us to build within our souls the characteristics required for the future and eternity.
Albert R. Lyman once wrote: “Sturdy stuff is not developed in a soft cradle. Strong souls are born in adversity and schooled in hardship, and the great mill of fortune grinds more carefully on the special men and women destined to bear the heaviest human burdens.”
See, that moment when we are ready to collapse, ready to give in to the pressure and the pain that seems all consuming, is actually the moment when we can rise higher than ever before. We are not meant to wallow in the mire for all our existence. We are meant to push on, to fight through the sorrow and the suffering to become what we are meant to be. We can do it. We must do it. Our souls depend on it and others too.
We are destined for greatness, you and I. We are designed by an all knowing and loving creator who knows the best way to mold us into the champions of goodness and light we are to become. Hence it becomes more than critical to push on. When all energy is consumed, when all hope seems lost, when everything is falling apart, that is when the Lord steps in and lifts us higher.
We won't achieve greatness by giving up or giving in. We are given that honor when we have fought the good fight, when we have finished the course and we have kept the faith (see 2 Timothy 4:7).
Don't give up.
1 comment:
Happy Birthday! I hope you are doing well. I really enjoyed this particular insight, of rising to the occasion and putting on our hope in Christ to press onward and upward. Marvin J. Ashton once said, “They took personal pride in the fact that they were fighting something bigger than they were and stronger than they were—something that might even overpower them. But they still had something their enemies couldn’t take away—hope. It is a formidable weapon. … When all else fails, pull out the big artillery, HOPE, and hang on.”
I'm so thankful that Christ suffered through my trials and triumphed over them long before I ever had to face them, because I know I can do anything, so long as I have someone to follow down the unknown paths. Six years ago, Chris and I were spelunking, and I always made sure that there was someone in front of me and someone behind me at all times in the caves. Partially for my own safety, and partially so I could help someone else make it through the caverns safely. I approach life the same way.
So long as I have someone who has "been there, and done that", with whatever I'm trying to accomplish (having a family in college comes to mind), then I know I can do it because someone came before me and pulled it off. That's not to say it's easy, but it's doable. Christ did it. We can do it. There's no need to be weighed down by disappointments and trials. Of course we all have insecurities and inadequacies, but we can rise above them to reach our potential. Christ won't let us fail, so long as we always follow Him.
Character is always honed through trials, and it's comforting to know that Heavenly Father will never give us a trail beyond our ability to bear it, and Satan will never tempt us beyond our ability to withstand the temptation. Christ will always see us through our trials ("Footprints in the sand" comes to mind).
I hope the trials and tribulations that you and your family are going through will help to make you stronger, give you greater unity, and bring you closer to Christ.
Although to be fair, I'm really hoping for the day when "lifted higher" becomes an actual reality, because being 5'2'' is kind of annoying! :-)
Have a great rest of the semester Justin!
Take care of yourself. Eat well, sleep well, take five minutes everyday to de-stress, and always kiss your wife hello and goodbye. You're doing great!
All the best,
C/A
Post a Comment