Sunday, August 7, 2011

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

I was talking to a friend at work on Friday about past jobs and things. I told her about my job at the car dealership in Tucson and how much I hated it. I really didn't like selling cars - it just never sat right in me to try and convince someone to go into $20,000 of debt for a car that wouldn't be worth that much in a month.

Well, while talking to her she made an interesting point. Said she:
Perhaps we have crappy jobs to let us know we don't like them.
The first thing that popped into my head was Michael Jordan. His abilities with a basketball always amazed me. A week or so ago I learned he didn't even make the high school basketball team. That man put so much work into figuring out how to make the game work for him that he became one of the best players ever.

I have had a lot of different jobs in my short employment record. In order:
  • Handyman Assistant
  • [Missionary]
  • Theatre Staff
  • Baker's Assistant
  • Organ Salesman (musical kind and for one week)
  • New/Used Car Salesman
  • Cashier
  • Cook
  • Job Coach (for the mentally disabled)
  • Warehouse Jobs (same company, different positions)
    • Warehouse Staff
    • Roofing Bay Lead-man
    • Assistant Manager
  • Bookstore Clerk
  • doTERRA IPC
And I know I am not finished yet.

What I do know is what works and doesn't work for me. I have been able to do all of these jobs (minus the organ salesman) for a period of time and remain employed (haven't been fired yet) until my own choice to leave. But I have only felt happy when teaching or healing others. My church callings helped to seal the deal on the teaching and our involvement with doTERRA has given me the chance to heal others. I love it.

Another thing we talked about at work was letting go. I, like others, am haunted by my past mistakes. I feel like a horrible person for them and beat myself up sometimes for it. My friend gave another piece of advice - Let it go.

A year and a half ago I received a blessing that promised I was clean at that moment. I need to remember to not dwell on my sins (big or small) from before that time. I also need to let go of the little mistakes from recently. I sin like everyone else and it doesn't matter how much I think I should have "seen it coming" or been able to avoid it. In fact, it is in making mistakes that we learn and grow. We just have to learn not to dwell on them and what we did, but focus on what we can do better next time.

I am always grateful for the inspirational words of friends and colleagues. They are a strength to me every time.

No comments: