![]() |
| from mathwithouttears.blogspot.com |
Noting this, the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics decided to act. In the 1990's they sent out a document to the nation's teachers explaining the problems and the potential solutions for them. The wake of that decision has been enormous. People fighting for the NCTM's standards or against them seem to spring up in every city in the United States. It created such a virulent schism that a good chunk of the country is familiar with the term "Math Wars" used to describe it and any parent of a school aged child feels the affects of that war.
So what did I learn? I learned I was wrong. Really, the "new math" methods, when taught correctly are more impacting and longer lasting. The real problem is the oscillation of districts between programs (for the NCTM and not) and the teachers teaching the subject (I'm studying to be one, but a good one hopefully).
Sometimes we think we have all the answers and understand what is going on in other realms (or our own) when we really don't have a clue. Organizations are complex things. People are more so. You can know someone for a long time and still never truly know them.
I know that I have a habit of blindly assuming things based off of my imperfect and unfocused lens. When I see a person, even if I try hard, I only see them through my eyes. It is possible to start viewing people with more compassion, more understanding, but it will always be our version of their life.
![]() |
| from picturesofjesus4you.com, art by Greg Olsen |
I'm hoping I can ween my thoughts off of deciding who or what people are (and groups and organizations too) until I have gained knowledge by first hand experience or the true revelation of the spirit (and not my own fancies). It would be nice to see everyone the way the Savior sees them - or at least come closer to that vision.
Mostly I wish to remember that "truth is in the eye of the beholder" but unless our eye is single to the glory of God, we are full of darkness. I wish my truths to be bright, always.


No comments:
Post a Comment