Saturday, March 6, 2010

Running Fast

During the past two weeks the pressures of school, home and work took their toll on me. I enrolled in 12.5 credit hours this semester and was trying to balance that inbetween the demands of my wife and kids and the requirements of my full time job. This had seemed manageable in my mind when I signed up for it, but I wasn't really paying attention to the Spirit.

"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." (Mosiah 4:27)

I'm sure that many, like myself, have heard these words or their synonyms many times. It has been easy for me to understand this principle in the physical sense because I have had asthma since I was very young child and it severely limits my speed and endurance in sports. What it has never correlated to with me is my mind.

For some reason I have entertained this belief that I can handle all things if I put my mind to it. It probably stems from such passages as:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philip 4:13)

"And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done." (1 Nephi 17:50)

But remember, that to be understood properly we must always take things in context. Both Paul and Nephi were talking about God given mandates and as Nephi said earlier, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them," (1 Nephi 3:7). See, the trick is that God has to command it. If he hasn't approved it, then you do not have the assurance that he will enable you to see it through.

I feel the best example that correlated to my problem is that of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He had a divine calling - translate the Book of Mormon. This was a crucial part of the restoration and has been a blessing to millions since its completion. Surely timing was of the essence and the faster the better, right? Yet listen to the words of the Lord on the matter:

"Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided to enable you to translate; but be diligent unto the end," (D&C 10:4)

Even a work as important as the Book of Mormon had to be done in its proper time and place. The same applies to us today with our goals. I desperately want to finish college and do it quickly, but it is not the best for me to run at an all out sprint through the academic world. I don't have the strength nor means. My other responsibilities require enough of me that I must maintain a slower, though steady, course that ensures completion without destruction.

I know now what this means in my life and pray that others may find these truths reflected in their own. May the Lord bless you with the wisdom to know your limits, for he said, "I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27). I pray this will be so, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

PS - I dropped a class and went to 3/4 time. It was the best decision I've made academically.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I'm sorry life currently requires 40% of your time to be devoted to family, 40% of your time devoted to school, and 40% of your time devoted to work, leaving you with a full negative 20% of your day to do something for yourself and the other things you would like to do.
While we are striving to have balance in all things, some days (most days) we aren't able to do everything required of us. Thank heaven we are not required to be perfect, we are only required to put forth our best effort everyday and be at peace with our lives.
So long as our priorities are in line with our goals, Heavenly Father has a way of making us into the best version of ourselves. Then ironically enough, we find we are not as inadequate as we once thought we were.
Life is not meant to be easy, but this situation is just for a season, not for the rest of your life. We're proud of you Justin, and of everything you are trying to accomplish! Just do your best, no one can ask any more of you than that. Take care and good luck for the rest of the semester!
All the Best,
C&A