I was loading a semi-truck yesterday and getting very frustrated. It was the third day in a row where I was late at work and it was taking a toll on me. Anger welled inside of me and I was less than hospitable. I really couldn't seem to calm down about the situation. Why was my time being constricted like this? I had a lot to do both with homework and family, wasn't that more important?
Certainly, if nothing else, I had the right to be angry and impatient; right?
"When we are unduly impatient we are suggesting that we know what is best--better than does God. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than His. Either way we are questioning the reality of God's omniscience as if, as some seem to believe, God were on some sort of postdoctoral fellowship and were not quite in charge of everything." (Neal A. Maxwell, Patience, BYU Speeches, Nov 27, 1979).
Apparently not. The truth of the matter is God is in charge of everything. He is the one who designed the plan in which we are participating. It is to Him we promised, long ago, to follow through with the blueprints He gave us. Sometimes we forget that we must have faith, not only that something is what God wants for us, but that it is also good because of it - that what He wills is the best and will bring us the must joy.
If God lets things happen so that I am late at work, through no fault of my own, then that is where He wants me to be at that time. How dare I suggest that in my weak and inexperienced position He should bend His omniscient will to mine. That may sound harsh, but it is true. We cannot become impatient and frustrated by circumstances without insinuating that the previous is true.
Remember the words of the scriptures:
"Rest in the lord, and wait patiently for him," (Psalms 37:7)
"I WAITED patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry," (Psalms 40:1)
"Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit. Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools. Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this." (Ecclesiastes 7:8-10)
It would be best if we all adopted the philosophy, "Be still my soul, thy wise, thy heavenly friend, through thorny ways leads to a joyful end," (Be Still My Soul, Hymns #124). In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
2 comments:
Sweetheart, you are so right. I love this post... and you too.
Bill McGlashen once said, “Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you, but not in one ahead.” Ambrose Bierce stated, “Patience, n. A minor form of dispair, disguised as a virtue.”
Why is it that when we ask Heavenly Father to help us be patient, He gives us many, MANY opportunities to be patient, to exercise patience, and have our patience tried and tested?
I'm so glad you are able to keep an Eternal Perspective, and it's commendable that you were able to do so without pulling out your hair! (It never ceases to amaze me that Chris and I still have hair on our heads after almost 5 years of marriage with school, kids, and wanting to kill each other at least once a week.)
It's remarkable the patience you were able to exercise and what you've accomplished in the four short years we've known you, Justin. Things can only get better.
Good luck with everything this week! Take care!
C&A
Post a Comment