Sunday, November 13, 2011

Friends Lost Along the Way

I was looking at a friend on Facebook today and watched in sorrow as I saw his life in photos and "interests." It has never ceased to amaze me how similar people are in habit and mind when they are a similar distance from the Church. After serving a mission for two years and watching my old friends from high school and my old ward move on with their lives I can't help but notice the things going on with each of them in their lives.

Some are struggling with faith and family. They work hard at their jobs and schooling while doing their best to remain true to their religion and honor. Their interactions with the world fall along the lines of disgruntled comments and occasional high notes. I feel sad for their afflictions, but am ever so grateful to know they are still involved in the truth.

Others are removed from the faith of their fathers in a big way. They aren't actively fighting against it, but they are keeping themselves away as much as possible. I saw one in dozens of pictures of bars, holding cigarettes and alcohol. His film and music lists were full of R&B songs, Rap, scandalous television and adult themed movies. Another has been living with a girlfriend for years with no sign of a marriage proposal nor change in arrangements. Yet another has several tattoos proudly shown off as he drinks and makes inappropriate gestures towards the camera. It goes on and on...

Please don't mistake me for a prude. I am a sinful person like everyone else. I struggle with my own individual temptations and addictions (not drugs or sex, just very habitual things like video games). My point was merely the reflection on life choices and how stark the difference is between those who remain active and those who don't. Nearly everything I've ever been warned against or taught about is clearly seen in their Facebook accounts alone - drugs, premarital sex, inappropriate music and videos, homosexuality and so on.

Today our lesson in priesthood was on the little things that distract us from where we want to be and how the devil leads us with a flaxen cord down to Hell. These people I have been speaking of once went to church with me on Sundays, once went to seminary with me during the week, and once attending youth activities like dances and retreats. They followed the tugs and prods of the world and now they are lost and wandering in pain and sorrow. You can see it in their eyes and in the words they speak. They are hurting and won't look to the one source that could heal their pain - Christ.

I hope that others might see this pattern before it is too late. They say if you miss three Sundays in a row you are inactive. I believe it. You lose sight of what is important so quickly you don't even recognize it until years later and then you don't care. Don't lose sight of who you are and what you are here for. There is a purpose to this life and it is not pain and blindness. The purpose of this life is joy and growth and returning to our Lord and God with a countenance much more like theirs.

We are children of God. Remember who you are.

No comments: